Sunday, August 12, 2012

07.27.2012 | 11:14am | 6 lbs 11 oz, 20 inches long


Our little Macy Grace was born on July 27, 2012, and it took her forever to get here.  I’ll start her story from the very beginning.

She was due on Sunday, July 22, 2012.  My mom and sister came to Boise on Tuesday.  Maddux was born two days before his due date so we thought arriving on Tuesday would be perfect.  My amazing friends threw me a baby shower Tuesday night; I’m so happy my mom and sister were able to attend.

Tuesday came and went.  I felt like a ticking time bomb.  We just knew I was going to have the baby on Wednesday. We played some games and did a lot of walking. Tuesday came and went. No baby.

Wednesday was it.  Definitely.  We all just knew it.  Wednesday came and went.  No baby.

Thursday was definitely the day. We were sure of it. We walked and walked. We walked the greenbelt, Target, WalMart, and Fred Meyer.  Thursday came and went. No baby.

Friday.  Friday was it. We went to see my doctor so she could see if I was progressing. Nope. Two and 65. Really?? She stripped my membranes to speed things up.  I started having sporadic contractions that night. Friday came and went. No baby.

Saturday had to be the day.  My sister had a flight out of Boise on Sunday so this little girl had to come on Saturday. I started jogging laps around my living room and kitchen. Maddux joined me; he loved it. Saturday came and went. No baby.

Sunday was it.  My due date was Sunday.  This had to be the day. We went to church and anxiously awaited contractions to start. Eventually it was time to take my sister to the airport – without seeing her little niece.  Sunday came and went.  No baby.

Monday for crying-out-loud had to be the day. I had a doctor’s appointment.  I was considering induction if I had made any progress.  However, NO progress had been made – at all. None. Zip. Zilch. Monday came and went. No baby.

Tuesday.  I couldn’t believe it was Tuesday. My mom and I continued to walk and walk and walk.  We stopped pushing carts at the store because we always left with items we didn’t need. Tuesday came and went. No baby.

Wednesday. Was it seriously Wednesday? +3 days after my due date?? I was one of those women who others took pity on when they found out she went past her due date. Was I going to have to have a C-section? What if they tried to induce me and I never progressed? I might have to have a C-section.  I never even considered my path might take this route. Wednesday came and went. No baby.

Thursday.  I woke not feeling well.  This was good.  Really good. The day went on as usual. The afternoon was welcomed with sporadic contractions. We walked and walked.  Yes, today was the day I would go the hospital.  I really knew it this time.

Makay works in the ICU at a hospital 30 minutes away so that is where I needed to deliver. My entire pregnancy I feared delivering in the car because of the distance from the hospital so once contractions were about 10 minutes apart we decided to head to Caldwell.  We took Maddux down to our friend’s house, LoraAnn, and took off around11:00pm. We went to WalMart to walk, and walk we did. Writing down the time intervals between contractions seemed to make the time pass a little more quickly. To change things up we decided to walk at the hospital. So we walked the floors of Makay’s workplace. We actually checked-in around 4:00am when contractions were five minutes apart.  I had only progressed to a three and 95.  We walked some more.  5:00am—dilated to a four. 6:00am—dilated to a five.  7:00 am—dilated to a six. 8:00am—dilated to a seven.  



I received my epidural which made me super light-headed and nauseous for the first 10 minutes.  I never experienced that with Maddux.  Once that passed, the doctor broke my water.  10:30am I start feeling a lot of pressure.  I asked my nurse to check me and she was surprised I was a 10.  She called for the doctor. Pressure was getting worse and I really wanted to push.  The doctor arrives. He expects pushing will take some time. He’s not dressed in his hospital scrubs.  He asked me to push once to see how things are looking. I pushed once and she started crowning.  The doctor looked a little frantic and says, “stop pushing!.” He needed to get his scrubs on.  Really?  Could have you done this earlier?  So I waited.  Pressure. Pressure. Pressure. Baby’s head crowning, and I have to wait.  Finally he’s ready. Over the course of my next contraction she was born. 11:14am. Squished nose, matted hair, swollen eyes—she was absolutely beautiful.  6 lbs 11oz, 20 inches long. I was crying. My mom was crying. I look at Makay, and he looks like he’s about to pass out. This is definitely out of character for him; I knew something was wrong. Macy’s hand was on her head when she was born, and her little fingers made a vein burst in the canal. Makay couldn’t believe how much blood continued to flow.  The doctor wasn’t frantic, but he was definitely barking orders to his nurses. He was able to stitch the vein, but was worried about stitching up the urethra [yikes!] because they were so close together. Because of this I had to wear a lovely catheter for 12 hours.  That was the worse part of the entire recovery.  Every time I moved I was nervous I was going to rip it out [uh, ouch!].



Maddux came to the hospital Saturday afternoon and fell in-love with her instantly. He adores her every moment of every day. Every morning he comes in my room, looks at her and says, “I just love her so much, mom.”

We love her, too. 

2 comments:

Erica said...

Yay! So happy for you. She is beautiful, I love all that hair! And how do you look so amazing after giving birth? Congrats to all of you!

gina marie said...

Dang! She is testing your patience already! ;) Congratulations girl! You two know how to make cute ones...with a lot of hair! Wow! Love and miss you!