Friday, September 2, 2011


Disclaimer:  These were all taken on my phone.  Hence, our beauty.  

Well, I'm a horrible blogger, but this can't go un-blogged. [Did I just make up a new word??] 

August 24th marked our fifth year of marriage. Five whole years.  We celebrated early by going to a Michael Buble concert [which was a.w.e.s.o.m.e.].  We also went out to eat a few days after and had great conversation.   I emphasize this because I had an epiphany while eating. When Makay and I were first married eating out was completely different than it is now. In my family, eating out is an occasion, an experience. A time to connect, bond, create memories. Ya know, the right way to do it. [sly smile happening over here] The first time we went out to eat as a married couple we were in and out of the restaurant in 30 minutes.  For r.e.a.l.  This includes the time to be seated, order, eat, and figure the tip. I was heart-broken.  

Didn't he want to talk to me [thought in a petty, 16 year-old voice]? Sniff. Bond? Have a conversation? Didn't he love me?? Okay, so I over-exaggerated, over-thought, and over-analyzed.  I'm a woman, okay! 


Now, compare to the latest experience.  Ahem.  I dress up, feeling quite lovely. We walk out the door. "Oh, shoot, should I have dressed up?" says an alarmed husband as he looks upon his smokin' wife. If you don't like it, get your own commentary. It's my memory! "Oh, this old thing? I just threw it on, no worries, Love." It's a lie and he knows it.  I bought the outfit like three days before and bragged about the great deals. He smiles and walks me out the door.

We say goodbye to the kid [okay, my sweet little munchkin who I love and adore] and head out. We go to a nice little Italian restaurant, Asiagos, in down-town Boise. We were the only ones sitting outside.  How romantico. I order my usual Diet Coke with lemon.  He does the same. I was shocked, he usually goes for the lemonade. Then we ate and talked....

 ate and talked..

 ate, talked, ate talked, ate... talked ....

for two entire hours. That's right ladies and gents.  My love and I had a conversation for two hours.  A real, deep, meaningful conversation.  That's when it hit me.  My husband is awesome. For r.e.a.l. 

Then we walked around down-town and had great time.  Despite the three Diet Cokes which were starting to catch up with me.


----------------------------

Let's get real now.  That story ended up being longer than expected.  For posterity sake... as well as for my own [especially durning those moments when we're both saying, "I have to be married to you for eternity?!"] I'm going to recount a few of the things I've learned these past years...

[1] Marriage is a more joyful experience when the Lord is involved. As I find myself praying for Makay [especially during the difficult times of marriage] the Lord blesses me with a heightened level of love for him.  I can't even explain it. 

[2] Serve.  Truly serve.  It's not a game.  It's just pure service.  Charity, rather.  Serve without expecting anything in return -- or keeping score. 

[3] Communicate. Always communicate your needs; be respectful of your spouses needs -- even if you don't understand them.  Understanding comes in time.  Until then, just do because you love.

Cheesy line coming up  I'm so blessed to have Makay in my life.  He is more than I deserve.  He is a spectacular dad, a strong leader, a faithful priesthood holder, an honorable man, and an loving husband.

Here's to five more
oh, times infinity 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Belated Happy Marriage Anniversary. Lovely post. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Take the Happiness Together test and find out a number of helpful insights about happiness in relationship with your partner. It helps you discover just how happy you and your partner are in your relationship.

Kristin said...

Alli, once again, I am so grateful for your friendship in my life! It seems like I always just go along thinking I'm doing it right, and then I read (or realize), that I could be doing things better!

And congrats on FIVE years! That's amazing!

Ashley from the Canyon said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it has been 5 years! If you want to play I just tagged you!
http://bandycanyon.blogspot.com/2012/02/tag-im-it.html

Hope to hear from you!
Ashley