Wednesday, May 18, 2011

birthday | two

Well, my munchkin is two. Time has passed quickly--too quickly. 

Maddux had a combined birthday party with his friend, Jacob.  They are only a day apart. Maddux is so lucky to have such a good, little friend and to be loved by his family. We ate some barbeque, opened presents,  played in bubbles and finished with cupcakes and ice cream. 




Maddux took most of his cues from Jacob until we brought out the cupcakes; he knew exactly what he wanted and dove right in.  He's definitely his mama's baby. 




I never knew happiness had a never-ending potential. I find myself feeling like he could never make me happier -- and then he does.  He fills me like nothing else can.  I still find myself watching him sleep during the night.  Sometimes I pick up and rock him.  His legs and feet dangle off the chair while his cheeks are smashed between my arm and chest.  His little mouth hangs wide open.  He's safe, and I want to keep him that way forever--right there in my arms where he can't be hurt.  Of course, I know that can't be the  case.  Eventually he'll know what it feels like to be left out, have a broken heart, or even be disliked [though I can't imagine why anyone would dislike my little one]. My heart wrenches when I think about him experiencing these painful feelings.  But, with these experiences comes growth, and in the end, that's truly what I want.  I want him to grow into a strong, honorable, and dedicated man [who still loves and admires his mother, of course].


apologies if this ends up side-ways... 


2 comments:

Jacilynn said...

what a fun birthday! he is getting so big. I love how you articulate so beautifully your feelings of motherhood. There's really nothing in this world that can compare to it. I still (3 kids later) have surreal moments when I think "I can't believe I get to be their Mom." And my poor kids are grabbed by me and squeezed at random. They never know when to expect it. haha. When I look at them and my heart feels too full I have to grab em and squeeze them tight in a hug.
x

Kristin said...

Yes, I love how you described your feelings. I never realize how deep my feelings can run until and how much love I can have until I think of my little family, and look at my little boy. Nothing in life (that I've found anyway) is as fulfilling as motherhood. Happy birthday to Maddux! And to you of course! Love you and miss you!